5G: The Future Of RF
Beyond Smartphones to Smart Everything
5G is more than low-band front-end modules and switches. Qorvo has all the core RF technologies to fully address and enable 5G — from wireless infrastructure to mobile devices to Gallium Nitride (GaN) technologies to make them happen. Qorvo partners with carriers and standards bodies to bring the vision to life.
WHAT 5G IS
- 5G is massively broadband
reaching into frequencies never previously thought of for mobile wireless — above 3.4 GHz, and even to 30 GHz and beyond.
- 5G is ultra efficient
for streaming data, taking full advantage of carrier aggregation and massive MIMO.
- 5G is fixed wireless
giving more choices to get 1 Gb/s connections to your home and business.
- 5G is wireless infrastructure
using beam steering and high-power GaN, based on the technologies in phased-array antennas for defense.
- 5G is low-latency
for real-time connections enabling autonomous vehicles and augmented/virtual reality.
- 5G is the backbone of the Internet of Things
connecting more than a trillion devices to the Internet in the next 10 years.
Qorvo is the standard setter — participating in standards bodies and partnering with wireless carriers — to define 5G RF for the future.
5G Complements the 4G LTE Network
- 5G will start as an overlay of the 4G LTE network.
- The 5G radio specification (called 5G NR for "new radio") will have both Non-Standalone (NSA) and Standalone (SA) operation.
- NSA is an evolutionary step for carriers to offer 5G services without building out a 5G core network, until they add the full SA 5G core later.
- Starting in 2019, 5G will encompass major new capabilities.
CONNECTING THE USES OF 5G
Qorvo connects RF for all 5G use cases — more than just cellular and Wi-Fi.
RF COMMUNICATION TECHNOLOGIES BY USE CASE
5G will overlay the 4G LTE network in the coming years. The RF function, frequency band, power level and other performance requirements determine which semiconductor technology is the best fit.
EXPLORE QORVO'S 5G PRODUCTS & SOLUTIONS
Visit the Qorvo site for more information.