Source: Skyworks Solutions, Inc.
Skyworks’ SKY82896 is a three-channel/two-channel boost LED driver that features an input voltage range of 2.5V to 5.5V and an I2C interface. Its utilization of a small chip inductor instead of a wire-wound inductor makes it especially ideal for space-constrained designs in smartphones, tablets, and media players.
The minimal use of external components on the LED driver make it well-suited for LED backlighting in single-cell, Li-Ion battery-based applications. Additional features include:
- Three channels with up to 9 LEDs in series (up to 27 LEDs)
- 30 mA max LED current
- +2% current accuracy and +2% matching
- Backlight power reduction:
- Output efficiency up to 90%
- Shutdown current: <1 µA
- Ultra-high resolution dimming:
- 10-bit dimming I2C/analog-PWM/direct-PWM
- 100 Hz to 35 kHz APWM capability
- 100 Hz to 50 kHz DPWM capability
- Comprehensive system protection:
- Integrated and programmable over-voltage protection
- Open/short LED protection, over-temperature and boost over-current protection
- Adjustable current limit for smallest inductor
- 16-bump, 1.956 mm x 1.906 mm package (MSL1, 260oC per JEDEC J-STD-020)
For additional information on the SKY82896/97 two and three channel boost LED driver’s features and specifications, download the datasheet.